Re: To spare or not to spare

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, <JERTIGGER2@cs.com>,
Subject: Re: To spare or not to spare
From: "Eddie Sheffield" <esheffield@prizmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:16:03 -0400
Hmmm. I put a can of this stuff (don't remember the brand, but not actual
"Fix-A-Flat") in my WW Midget (hence, tubes) about three weeks ago and it
seems to be holding up nicely. Haven't put a lot of mileage on it since. The
can does say that it is only meant to be a temporary fix and it should be
properly repaired ASAP.

That said, the canned stuff is only useful for small leaks. No help at all
with a blowout. Modern tires are generally pretty reliable (Explorer tire
fiasco notwithstanding). I dare say that in a Midget one is probably better
off ditching the spare tire and throwing in a spare fuel pump, alternator,
toolkit, etc. Only had two blowouts in my 18 years of driving. I've had more
problems with other things going out and stopping me.

I've thought at times that it's kind of funny that a spare tire is the only
spare part that comes standard with a car. Made sense years back when tires
weren't as reliable, but doesn't seem as necessary today. A spare set of
sensors and computer would probably be more useful! ;-)

YMMV. If you take your spare out and get stuck with a flat, don't blame me!
I admit I still have the spare tire in mine, but it looks pretty bad and may
be worthless!

Eddie
1971 Midget