Re: Questions of an esoteric nature (longish answer)

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, "MG LISTERS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions of an esoteric nature (longish answer)
From: "Brent Schwartz" <brentschwartz@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:24:56 -0500
Bob Howard wrote:

> Brent,
>   The RB cars have improved "anti-burst" door hardware, and the doors
> have a steel reinforcement panel inside.  You will see the hardware in

<SNIP>

Good Point.  Improvments in safety were made all along the way.
My gripe was primarily against the double standards whereby
my favorite type of cars were systematically choked out of existance
and other vehicles (some of which i detest) were allowed to thrive.

On further reflection I guess I would tie my thoughts with another thread
lately that was comparing the success of the MGB and the Miata.  I believe
the comment was that they were both amazingly successfull despite
their percieved "Low End " position in the market.  I believe that the
reason for their success was exactly because of their marketing position.
Mazda struck gold twice RX-7 and Miata.  The RX-7 only died when
Mazda started marketing it up-scale in the 2nd and 3rd generation cars.
Datsun struck gold with the 240Z, MG struck gold with the B.
Others have done similar.  Everyone loves the
exotic supercars but truely how many of us can afford one.  Any company
that sells an affordable, easy to maintain, sports car with adequate
performance can't help but win a large part of the market.

So in summary,  I was somewhat wrong in my rant and am proud
of Mazda for carrying the flag for so many years.  Maybe we can
beg MG to come back to America with a small affordable sports
car again so the dream won't be totally lost.  The Miata is getting
rather long in the tooth and won't continue in production forever.
What  company will be next when the Miata line finally ends, or goes
up-scale and we can't afford one anymore?

Brent

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list