Re: Questions of an esoteric nature (longish answer)

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions of an esoteric nature (longish answer)
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 01:29:48 -0600
FWIW or my 2 cents:

Some of the changes made such as changing the ride height is not
necessary for the safety of the car's passengers.  The ride
height change was to make sure that all vehicles had the same
arbitrary bumper height.  I agree with the Brits in that they
feel it is better for a pedestrian to be thrown onto the bonnet
rather than under the car.  It may also have had something to do
with headlamp height.  But that hasn't helped much with people
adding lamps below the bumper and trucks with their headlights
shining right through the cockpit.

However some of the changes are definitely improvements to
passenger safety and don't adversely affect the vehicles
performance except for the added weight.

1) Collapsible steering columns.
2) Dual braking systems
3) Side intrusion protection in the doors.  (Very necessary in a
low car)
4) Anti burst door locks.
5) Seat belts WITH shoulder straps.

The rubber bumper although probably unnecessary does bring a
stronger and better collapsible front end.  IMHO I would want the
later chasis built for RB but with reinforced chrome bumpers
instead which is possible except for the NO DAMAGE in a 5 MPH
impact wanted by the insurance companies.

FMPOV, it was the EXHAUST emissions standards which really played
havoc with the MGB.

Blake

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list