Floor is out...now what?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor is out...now what?
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:02:22 -0400
I spent the last 3 evenings removing the badly rusted floor pan from my '71
B. Combination of a good DeWalt metal drill for the spot welds, hammer and
air chisel did the trick for removal, just need to grind down a few spot
welds that I did not drill out totally. The DPO of my B undercoated the hell
out of it, so the floor pan rusted from the top down. The lip around the
perimeter where the spot welds were attached is in decent shape, except
along the inner rocker forward of the crossmember / jack point (inner rocker
actually rusted through in a couple of places from wet carpets). My new
floor pan is of the Steelcraft variety with the 1-2" vertical lip around its
perimeter, so my thoughts were to get the pan fitted, tack weld along this
lip, and then just seam weld around its perimeter between the tack welds.
Plug welds would be used to fasten the pan to the crossmembers. My main
question is to the proper preparation of the now exposed rusty metal (lip,
crossmembers, etc). I was going to clean them up the best I could, and then
paint them and the new floor pan with a couple coats of POR-15, Rustoleum,
etc. Then I would fit the pan in place, and wire wheel clean the areas to be
welded (around the lip on the pan and through the holes to be plug welded)
to minimize the possibility of having unpainted metal anywhere under the
pan. Then weld, clean up, and several more coats of anticorrosive coating.
Sound like a good plan? TIA.

Craig
'71 B

///