RE: Floor is out...now what?

To: "'Craig D. Niederst'" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: RE: Floor is out...now what?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:32:31 -0700
My main
> question is to the proper preparation of the now exposed
> rusty metal (lip,
> crossmembers, etc). I was going to clean them up the best I
> could, and then
> paint them and the new floor pan with a couple coats of
> POR-15, Rustoleum,
> etc. Then I would fit the pan in place, and wire wheel clean
> the areas to be
> welded (around the lip on the pan and through the holes to be
> plug welded)
> to minimize the possibility of having unpainted metal
> anywhere under the
> pan. Then weld, clean up, and several more coats of
> anticorrosive coating.
> Sound like a good plan? TIA.

Craig:

        I use a product called "Extend"  It's marketed by Permatex (I think)
on the lap surfaces that are going to be welded.  It converts the metal,
then leaves a thin corrosion resistant surface that is pretty heat
resistant.  You can weld right through it without having to wire brush off
thicknesses of paint.  Once welded, then POR or other product of choice to
fill the seams.

        Spray "Extend" is really good for coating bolts or other metal
surfaces after wire brushing.  It won't clog threads, yet still gives good
protection.

        When dry the surface finish is a mottled bluish color that is very
tough.

Kelvin Dodd.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list