RE: Moss web site

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Moss web site
From: Brian Swearingen <woodysfj40@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 05:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
>>There is definitely no tie
>>between Moss Motors and Bill Gates.
>
>probably not, but i'd guess whoever is doing the site is either
>using Microsoft's extensions to Java, or Microsoft's HTML
>enhancements that improve the "experience" for IE users..
>
>ms-Java written apps can NOT be run by 100% pure Java clients..
>ms-HTML enhanced web pages are NOT usable by non-IE browsers (in
>fact, the IE used on the Mac can't even use them)..

I run/manage a number of amateur sites, and believe me it's a challenge
to get them to all operate and view identically between Netscape,
Internet Explorer, Opera, and the others.  Once you combine different
browsers, their sometimes different interpretations of identical code,
casdacing style sheets and Netscapes limited acceptance of them, and a
ton of other variables, it becomes nearly impossible to get them all
looking identical and 100% cross-browser compatible.

To those amateur site designers who have succeeded, they've spent hours
of research finding the specifications and locating the differences.  I
bet I dropped 2-3 weeks into my main site before I was satisfied that I
had resolved all the cross-browser issues.  (And honestly, they still
will never look the same....NS and IE don't view a 12pt letter [ormose
anyting else!] in the same way, and that can make page alignment a real
nightmare!)

=====
Brian Swearingen        http://www.IH8MUD.com
** Pres, Land Cruiser Legends ** VP-Region C, Wisc4WDA **
1995 Toy Pickup, V6, 5-speed, 4.56, 33x10.5 BFG AT-KO's, discos
1974 FJ40, 350, SM465, SOA, 4WDisc, locked, Newfields, 38.5" SX's
1977 MGB (hers), 1985 Ford Class C, 1999 Honda Civic (hers)
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list