Re: Installing headers on a '66 MGB

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Installing headers on a '66 MGB
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:28:40 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Erikson" <perikson2@earthlink.net>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Cc: "Phil Erikson" <phil4marlis@cari.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2001 4:54 PM
Subject: Installing headers on a '66 MGB

> Good morning, all. My name's Phil Erikson and I recently bought a '66 MGB
with
> a ton of extra parts. Among these is a complete Peco exhaust system, which
I'd
> like to install. I thought I'd install the header and drive slowly over to
my
> muffler guy to have the pipes and muffler installed. Question for you: any
> tips on how to install the header without ruining it and the engine
> compartment? (The B is fitted with a Weber downdraft carb.) I'd appreciate
any
> tips you guys could spare. TIA, Phil Erikson

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure what you mean by ruining the header and the engine compartment.
Installing a Peco system is pretty straightforward. Unbolt the
carbs/manifold, remove the old exhaust manifold/downpipe/mufflers, install
header/pipes/muffler, install manifold/carbs. Took me about 1.5 hours.

The only problem I ran into was with the header flange. Peco welds some C
washers on the flange as a reinforcement and one of these was misaligned. A
few minutes with the file allowed the stud to clear. The other problem you
may run into is that the flange is a tad bit thicker (or was it thinner?)
than the stock SU manifold (don't know about the Weber manifold). What I had
to do is make some C washers of my own by cutting a hardened washer in half
and use them as shims to bring the flanges up to the same height. (another
tip: I used some thick anti-seize on the C washer shims as 'glue' to hold
them in place while I installed the header).

The header is the hard part of the installation, the pipes and manifold took
maybe 15 min or so. I used the supplied U-bolts and original hangers. I had
some clearance problems with the muffler and the gas tank (yikes!), but was
able to rotate the muffler so that it cleared.

You may want to paint the pipes and mufflers, I didn't care for a red
muffler on a red car, so I gave it a shot of aluminum colored high temp
paint before installation. Don't worry about the header, the red burns off
quickly...

I must say that I'm very impressed with the Peco system, sounds nice and
gives a nice performance increase (as measured by my S.O.T.P. Dyno  (Seat of
the Pants Dyno)).

Jeff
'70B

///