Re: AC in an early ('67) MGB-GT

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AC in an early ('67) MGB-GT
From: James Howard <jhoward@sextans.lowell.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:52:45 -0700 (MST)
>The TRICK as I see it is to design & locate the  various cooling vent
>outlets and control locations in the interior so that they have a period
>appearance and are unobtrusive to the overall look of the car's
>interior....IOW,  it's gotta look like it came with the car.  That, and
>of course, it's gotta have sufficient power to cool the car efficiently.

I too want AC for my 66 MGB/GT, and have given a lot of thought to the
vent question.  I think the UK spec MGBs of around 1973 still used the
metal dash of the early 60's MGBs, except the speedo and tach were smaller
and the radio was moved to the area where the speaker is on ours.  Fresh
air vents were installed in the slot where the radio is on my 66.  So, if
you could get a pair of those vents, you would have something that would
work quite well with a two outlet evaporator box from Vintage Air.  Now,
if you want a radio, too, you would have to modify the speaker enclosure
to fit it, and perhaps hide the speakers under the dash.  I think a radio
and CD changer atop each other would cover the hole for the chrome speaker
grille quite nicely, and give it a near-oem appearance.

Controls are a little more complicated.  I suppose you could replace the
heater control knobs with ones that control both the AC and heat.  I
haven't been able to find any that would do that, though.  The ones in the
Vintage Air catalog look very JC Whitney to me.

James
66 MGB/GT
Flagstaff, AZ, USA

///