sircam worm not done yet!

To: <e-type@jag-lovers.org>
Subject: sircam worm not done yet!
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:57:39 -0500
If any of you have been infected with this worm/virus  and ran the
removal tool from www.symantec.com  . I ran the sircam removal tool on
my Win95 version B  machine... and ....

it may not have been enough. I usually leave my machine running 24/7
due to the fax hookup. I had to reboot it today and none of my
applications would run. I got the error message that any application I
selected was looking for some sircam32. exe file in order to be able
to run.

So I went back to the Symantec site and read the full set of Sircam
documentation. There is a section on Manual Removal.

The instructions are accurate and very good, but you must be sure to
follow them word for word, space for space and character for character

The MOST important change is to the registry. This is where I found
that the Symantec removal tool had not corrected the registry changes
the Worm had made on my machine. If you choose to do this REGEDIT
yourself, be sure to do exactly as the instructions say.  I printed
out the instructions and read each step through several times before
proceeding.

I made all the corrections and deletions and then rebooted. It
worked!! I can click all the icons that did not work prior to my
Regedit changes and go right into the applications.

Valerie

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list