Running headlamps

To: <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Running headlamps
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:59:46 -0700
> Blake said...
>I thought about leaving the two sixes.  I was wondering if I
could use the standard headlamps as daytime running lights.  The
idea is to run them off one six volt battery.  I'd insert a relay
into the head lamp circuit so when the light switch is turned on,
a full twelve volts would go to the headlamps.  Another option
would be to connect the lights in series, again using a relay,
for daytime use.

Don't do the first option. The batteries will discharge differently and will
never be charged at the same time. This result in the loaded battery failing
first, maybe way before it otherwise would.

The second option (lights in series) will work just fine, electrically. But
my question would be why not just run 12V to the DRL's. Then you have
maximum protection. And the slightly higher bulb burnout rate would be
offset by this added protection. I often run my regular lights as DRL's and
they last at least 3 years (exchangeable halogen element types).

Kind regards,

Tim Economu
1969 MGBGT

///