Re: fuel gauge

To: מרטין רוגובין <Rmartin@yedtech.co.il>,
Subject: Re: fuel gauge
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:06:56 +0100
The action of the voltage 'stabiliser' means that there is 12v switching on
and off about once a second which is the supply to the gauge on the
light-green/green, I've never measured the voltages on the sender wire
(green/black).  A 1973 senders measure around 35 ohms full and 300 ohms
empty, but there is quite some variation as gauges often need recalibrating
after a sender change.

It is not good news to ground the sender wire for long periods as it draws
significantly more current through gauge and stabilser than normal.  You can
use a test-lamp connected to ground, and if you drive around a bit like that
with it connected to the gauge terminal (and the green/black disconnected)
and the gauge is steady then the gauge and stabilser are likely OK and the
problem is with the wire to the tank or the sender or the sender ground.
This ground should go to the main grounding point at the back of the
boot/trunk and often causes problems.

PaulH.