RE: Passed MOT! (APK for the Dutch)

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Passed MOT! (APK for the Dutch)
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 02:25:53 -0400
Yes guys,

There are quite some differences.
I have been diving in the USA at some towns and outside.
Comparing the roads USA with the Dutch roads comes to many differences:
The Netherlands is a very dense populated country. With over 16 million
people living there leads to a very busy traffic. Highways have exits ever
so often and this leads to an intensive changing driving pattern all the
time.
Cruise control - I now recently have on my Chrysler Voyager with autogear -
hardly can be used I have experienced, unless one travels to the outer parts
of the Netherlands.
When traveling to other countries near us, it immediately changes, although
western Belgium is similar.
Especially France with its toll roads gives lots of road space with long
distances between every exit. This gives a relaxed feeling for the driver.

So this also leads to safety:
My very first car was before the APK test era (age for the US guys).
The drive shaft UJ's had so much play they could brake any time.
Every time I had to brake these UJ's caused a big bang, because all brake
force went on the UJ's as well (Citroen 2CV had the drum brakes mounted near
the engine and not on the wheel hubs).
The car's bottom plates were rotted away, so I had extra ventilation.
One day the lower hinge of my front door rusted away - the door almost fell
off, but I went on.
I never cared about maintenance as a poor student.
This and many other typical situations had lead to a dangerous traffic.
So personally I'm happy with the APK....

SAFETY Fast!

Hans