Re: transmission woes, part 2

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: transmission woes, part 2
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:41:08 -0700
There is nothing wrong with the 4-synchro transmission (as you noticed), but
I don't understand why your mechanic is so sure that a used 4-synchro unit
will be so much more reliable than a used 3-synchro unit. While the early
unit has some known weaknesses, unless you do a rebuild you have no
assurance of longevity either way.

I believe simply replacing the 1st gear layshaft (or something like that) is
supposed to greatly  improve the longevity of a used 3-synchro unit, while
still less involved than repairing the substantial damage that your current
unit has apparently suffered. I sympathize with your desire to keep things
original, and perhaps this could be a feasible middle course.

I went from 3-synchro to 4-synchro in my B, but only because I found an OD
tranny at a time when the engine was already out of the car. The best part
of the deal (besides the OD) is the new pre-engaged starter; the worst part
is that now I can't buy a carpet kit that fits the tunnel.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///