Re: misaligned cam

To: "E.Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Subject: Re: misaligned cam
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:44:43 -0400
"E.Claure" wrote:

> Hello list,  I took my car to the carb shop for tuning it lacks low end
> power and the plugs were black with carbon deposits. I got a call back from
> the mechanic and he wants to charge me extra for timing the cam? he tells
> me that the dots on the cam and crank gears were not aligned. (my jaw dropped)
>
> When I rebuilt my engine I recall I was very very careful of making sure
> those little dots were aligned. The mechanic has put a doubt in my mind and
> really don't have the time to take the front engine cover off. Can I check
> for this another way? would my car run at all?

  Your car would probably run. I scrapped an engine that had,
among other problems, also a misaligned timing chain.

  I just recently did the timing belt on my wife's miata, and
part of the procedure is to set it up, then rotate everything
a few times and check alignment. I had to do it twice, because
the first time, although it looked right, I had slack in
the wrong places and when it was all firmed up, it wasn't
aligned anymore.

  I hope I have never sealed up an engine with it
assembled wrong, but it is possible to get it wrong
even when being careful.

  Can you see what the mechanic is talking about? Maybe
I'm just a suspicious one, but if the mechanic can show
you the marks not aligned, and the engine is
clearly as you left it (gaskets are all old, dirt is
still there, hasn't been screwed up on purpose to
cheat you) then obviously he has a point.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca

///