Re: 3 Mains

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3 Mains
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:08:47 EDT
In a message dated 19/09/01 9:47:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Are the 3 main engines peppier than the early (non-smog) 5 main ones?
> Somewhere I heard that the extra main bearings actually add enough friction
> to make a noticeable reduction in power.

Yes, definitely, but it isn't enough to go looking for unless you are racing
in a stock class. In improved, the added compression and heightened RPM range
may militate a 5 main cross-drilled crank.

But running a blue-printed and balanced 3 main against a similarly prepared 5
main - the 3 main has a slight power edge, and also 'feels' more 'revable'.

Bill (who raced for some years in just such a class - blueprint, balance, and
race 'em)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///