Re: question on taking out engine

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: question on taking out engine
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:01:52 -0700
It can be done either way, but I prefer to pull the engine with the tranny.
The main reason is that it is much easier to remove the bell housing bolts,
replace the clutch components, inspect and replace the main seals and pilot
bushing, realign the input shaft, and bolt everything back together, with
both the engine and transmission fully accessible out of the car.

The step of realigning the input shaft can be particularly difficult if the
transmission remains in the vehicle. Sometimes it pops right in, but more
often it becomes a frustrating test of hoist manipulation skill, with the
risk of damaging the splines.

On the other hand, if you remove the engine and transmission as a unit, you
are lifting more weight, and you are going to have to lift it higher, so be
sure you have an adequate hoist. You also need to raise the car itself
somewhat to have sufficient clearance underneath, in order to tilt the
engine/tranny enough to clear the front crossmember and steering rack, etc.

One tip: read through the description of the process in the manual at least
twice, and check off the steps as you go. It is easy to overlook some of the
non-obvious connections (the shift lever is one of my favorites), and you
can easily cause some damage by hoisting away. Work slowly and methodically,
and stop if you feel any resistance. Then, when reinstalling, check off the
steps in reverse order to ensure you have reattached everything! It can be
embarrassing to start up your new engine and pump all the oil out onto the
driveway because you forgot to hook up the flex hose for the oil pressure
gauge.

Have fun!

--

Max Heim