[Top] [All Lists]

Re: Cat. convertor

To: <>
Subject: Re: Cat. convertor
From: "Jeff Fayne" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:01:30 -0500
> Assuming you still have the original carb and air pump, and how far off
> readings were, you might be able to pass without replacing the convertor.
> 1.  Get an oil change just before going for the test.
> 2.  Get the engine hot and geep it hot until through with the test.
> 3.  Retard the timing.
> 3.  Lean the mixture.

  ^----  Be aware that you can run too lean causing an increase in your
readings due to lean misfire.

4.  Open valve clearances. (Opened my '70 B to .025). This will cause the
valves to remain closed longer allowing for a more complete burn.

5. New air filter..

You may want to look for a friendly repair shop that will place your car on
their exhaust gas analyzer and will tweak it to pass. Look at your state EPA
website for the specs on what they test for.

Good luck,


/// mailing list
///  or try

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>