Re: Caution! Possible Attempted Virus attack!

To: microdoc@zoominternet.net
Subject: Re: Caution! Possible Attempted Virus attack!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:55:47 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/01 12:17:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
microdoc@zoominternet.net writes:

> The point is not to determine the country of origin, it is to determine whose
> computer it is coming from so that we can encourage the person to buy
> anti-virus
> software, remove the virus, and stop sending it to others on the MG list. I
> would
> really like to know how to do this. I know how to look at headers, but that
> is
> often insufficient. It seems that the PC or PC's owner(s) that harbor the
> virus
> probably don't know they have it. I wouldn't mind if we saved someone the
> grief
> of losing everything on his computer. It has happened to me twice. Nasty.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I stand corrected, and I agree entirely.  Luckily, my Norton AV catches most
of what I miss, and I have my AOL set to NOT download automatically.  When I
receive an e-mail with an attachment from someone I don't know, or with a
suspect subject line, I delete it and forget about it.  If it is a simple
"Reply" to let them know they are infected, I will send it off.  Most of the
time they already know they are infected, but it is nice to warn them just in
case.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget