Re: Caution! Possible Attempted Virus attack!

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, microdoc@zoominternet.net, Aeseeyou@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Caution! Possible Attempted Virus attack!
From: Eddie Sheffield <eddie@mediarchive.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:20:43 -0400
On Wednesday 10 October 2001 10:19 am, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 10/10/01 9:08:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>
> microdoc@zoominternet.net writes:
> > Exactly how did you determine where it was originating from? Do you have
> > special
>
> - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> No special software.  Just look for "uk" in the e-mail address.  All out of
> USA (OK, most) e-mail will have initials of the country of origin.

Problem is it is pretty easy to "spoof" email and make it appear to be coming
from someone else. For example the "Snow White" virus that several of us
(yep, me to0) get periodically always has a "from" field of something like
"someone@sexyfun.net" which I doubt is a real address. I get a lot of "spam"
with bogus from addresses as well. Sometimes I get spam sent to me that is
FROM me! You might be able to track back to the original email server that
received the message first by looking at all the headers (most email apps
hide most of the headers), but it won't tell who really sent it, though the
server admin *might* be able to trace it back from log files. If I were
writing an email virus, I would send to everyone in the address book,
randomly choosing other names to use as the from field.

Eddie
1971 Midget
Virus free in Linux ;-)

///