Re: Help needed with determining car # !!!

To: proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help needed with determining car # !!!
From: "Dave Munroe" <brutusdog1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:34:09 -0300
Phil;

Is you car a really nice example? Is it obvious to a casual onlooker that it
is not "all original"? It may not be a stolen and covered up car.

You obviously do not have a car complete with all the components with which
it left the factory. Fewer and fewer of these cars are today. No big deal
unless you were told otherwise. There is a good chance it is a "unit"
assembled from two or more MGB's....most often a body from one car, a motor,
tranny and perhaps an O/D from others. If it is licensed now, you must have
a V.I.N. If it is not an original V.I.N., there is a good chance it was
re-registered as a reconstructed vehicle and given a special number to
indicate that. The seller should have told you this. If he or she knows who
rebuilt the car, it would be very useful to talk to them and find out what
components they used and from what years' of mfr.

The downside is that you will have some difficulty at first ordering correct
replacement parts,  (just ordering parts for a '73 MGB will not guarantee
success!) but as you become familiar with it this will not be so much of a
problem.

The upside is that you know you don't have a completely original car, and it
can never be a concours example. So you will be free from criticism by the
originality nazis if you decide to paint is a non-standard color, install a
V6 motor or some wild wheels!

Have fun...

Oh, yes. Don't waste your money on an attempt to get the car number from the
British Motor industry Heritage Trust. They will send you the data relevant
to the car in which your motor left Abington. Ask me how I know!

Dave