Genesis of MG's use of "Cheap and Cheerful" phrase

To: AOH9999@aol.com
Subject: Genesis of MG's use of "Cheap and Cheerful" phrase
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:06:10 EST
Hey, I hope this will help......
Q. Does anyone know where I can find these advertisements on the Internet, or
in
 the real world?
A.Yes.The Phrase can be directly attributed to Cecil Kimber at the following
and other sites:
>>http://www.mgcars.org.uk/wdmgcc/body_midget.html
In the late 1920s, Cecil Kimber wanted to build a sports car that every one
could afford. In his words, he wanted it to be 'cheap and cheerful'.  The MG
Midget line started with the M Type and ended in 1955 with the TF.  The TC
and TD Midgets established the MG name and the British Sports Car tradition
in North America. The early Midgets were replaced with the MGA, MGB, and MGC.
Kind of depressing isn't it?(unquote)

As for MGMagnette's rather colorful "You can do it in an MG", I can remember
when in my youthful exuberance "I tried many times to do it in an MG, but
alas, it was easier in a VW Van!" Albert Escalante, 1978 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///