RE: Back on the road!!!

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Back on the road!!!
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:33:14 -0500
Jeff:

Where abouts in Atlanta do you live? I live in the Roswell area.

I had to "bust" a couple of my (3) wiper nuts off with a small sharp chisel
the first time I painted. The wiper drive threaded casting corrodes some and
makes the nuts seize pretty tightly. No problem getting duplicate nuts
though. Atlanta Imported Auto Parts (out towards Lawrenceville) has them
locally.

Yes, it WAS an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day here in Atlanta! Perfect MGB
roadster weather. I enjoyed it too! I spent the entire day out riding around
in the B with my wife. She enjoyed it too, as much as I did, and she isn't
usually into the B thing very much. Yesterday is what owning a B is all
about. Everybody was giving us thumbs up and waving at us. Disappointed that
we saw (only) one other British car (a white Austin Healey) all day though.

I'm pretty sure that the vibration you are experiencing when you brake is
most likely warped front discs or rear drums. They could also be badly
rusted if your B has been setting for a long time. I've never seen a wheel
bearing cause a vibration when braking - at least without other obvious
things going on such as a bad grinding feeling and/or sound. The easiest way
to diagnose whether it is from the front or the rear very easily by using
only the emergency brakes to stop the car (make sure that you've got plenty
stopping distance room!). If you feel the vibration with the emergency
brake, it's the rear drums causing it. If not, the front discs are probably
the cause. If the rear do it, and you have them turned, and then it STILL
vibrates after that, that means that BOTH front an rear were warped/rusted.
Not too uncommon. You can also use a run-out gauge or dial indicator on the
discs/drums to measure it but that's too complicated for me and really not
necessary. The only fix is to have them resurfaced/replaced. If YOU take
them off, NAPA does a great job of turning/resurfacing real cheap. Best I
can remember it was only about $10/20 a set. If they are too far gone (below
legal thickness specs) you'll have to replace them.

I did NOT remove my windshield!!! I removed virtually everything else, but
NOT the windshield! I KNEW/KNOW what a bummer it was/is and it wasn't THAT
bad!! I painter it (twice over 15 years) with the windshield still on it). I
could use a replacement for it now though. I'll pay somebody to do it for
me, if you or anyone else knows someone that is up to it, nearby and that
has the skills to do a decent job at a reasonable price.

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster
jerbesfield@mediaone.net
website- http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jerbesfield