Re: Heater switch and fan.

To: schultejim@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: Heater switch and fan.
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:38:49 -0500
Jim,
  In the workshop manual is an exploded illustration of the fan. All you
need to do, though, is to remove the fan from the heater box, separate
the squirrel-cage blower from the shaft, then remove the two bolts that
hold the motor case together. Pull apart the sections.  This can be more
difficult than it sounds, because of rust that has formed over the years.
A little PB Blaster then day before you intend to start may help.
  Someone else will have to assist with electrical diagnosing. My
experience with a couple of these motors is that lubricating the bearings
was all that was needed to get them happy again.  Both motors had brushes
that were well over the miniumum size, and the armatures looked to be in
good order.
  Reassembly is difficult only in that you have to rig something to keep
the brushes back in their guides so that the armature can slip past them.
I used bent paperclips and am certain that others have found better
tools.

On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 09:03:18 -0800 James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
writes:
> Paul,
> I found a new switch in my box of goodies and it worked fine.  I
> also
> cleaned the old switch inside and out with electrical spray cleaner
> and
> dabbed it with dielectric grease on all contact points (as suggested
> by
> another lister, I think it was Hans) and it works as well. However
> the
> fan still does not.  I cleaned and greased all points on the fan
> with no
> luck.  How do I take the fan apart and check the insides?
> Jim
> 78B
> 70B

///