Re: Duty time for alternator or dynamo

To: "bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Duty time for alternator or dynamo
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:41:19 -0000
Good point, although I'm not sure how it does this since it senses battery
voltage and controls output by varying the resistance in the ground side of
the field winding (the voltage on the 'hot' side of the field being the same
as the output voltage).  The main purpose of the regulator in 'normal' use
is to maintain output voltage at about 14.5v.  The Workshop Manual states,
in its description of the charging system of GHN4 and GHD4 cars, "The ...
charging system consists of an alternator and a voltage regulator ..." and
"(the diodes) and other design features overcome the necessity of a cut-out
and current regulator.  The dynamo control box has relays for cut-out,
voltage regulation and current regulation, of course.

PaulH.

> If you bypass the regulator and allow the
> alternator free reign, the output current will increase with rotational
> speed, the same as the generator.  When the engine speed gets to 3300 rpm
> the alternator output current is up to its rated value, which is the test
> to verify that the alternator can put out that much current.  If you were
> to increase engine speed beyond 3300 rpm the output from the alternator
> would climb higher, beyond its rated output, and in continuous use it
would
> then eventually self destruct.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list