Re: Rallyes

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Rallyes
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:28:35 -0500
Max Heim wrote:

> Hmmm, it occurs to me that one of the big differences between car meets and
>cycle meets is parking requirements. Car meets have to be held at venues large
>enough to park all the cars -- that's one reason that the really large ones
>are usually held in or near large cities. Your typical state park usually only
>has parking for 100-200 cars. In contrast, I suppose that might accommodate
>1000 or more motorcycles. You can roll your bike right into your campsite,
>even. This isn't an option with LBCs (usually).
>
> Plus, driving the Blue Ridge Parkway might not be so attractive it it were
>bumper-to-bumper with 1200 MGs. Think about it. My point is that there is an
>inherent difference of scale between car meets and bike meets. If it's to be a
>driving event, held in a remote, scenic locale, don't expect 1000 cars. If it
>has 1000s of cars, odds are it's in a large city, and is static-show oriented
>(which is not to say it doesn't include rallies, auto-X, funkhanas, etc).

Hi Max,

The rallyes I mentioned were held at county fairgrounds. The one in
Oregon could park MANY thousands of cars on either pavement or on grass.
In fact, so could the fairground in this town where I live. The
fairground in NC was smaller but it could still park well over a
thousand cars. In addition, there were wooded areas that we weren't
using that could have accommodated hundreds of tent campsites. These
facilities are universally designed to accommodate cars not motorcycles,
so no problems there.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a big time attraction, and there are 469 miles
of it in the northbound lanes and another 469 miles southbound; it can
certainly handle the increased traffic of 1200 MG's without being
noticed. It is not a racetrack (the 45 mph speed limit is strictly
enforced), but is an alternative to four parade laps bumper-to-bumper
around a racetrack.

I'm not faulting the prior MG events, they have been well done and loads
of fun, and the examples I gave were only recent experiences I have had,
but there is a potential for even more if we look beyond what we have
already done.

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net
1960 MGA 1600 Very Red