Re: Howdy!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Howdy!
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:32:13 -0600
paul.hunt1@virgin.net wrote:

> I bought a roller-bearing release bearing for a new clutch 'cos it seemed
> like a good idea at the time.  Then I read that these should be fitted with
> an additional pull-off spring at the slave to stop them constantly rotating
> and wearing out.  Then I spoke to my supplier who denied all knowledge of
> the spring or the problem.  Then mine started 'wittering' after a few k
> miles just as it starts to take up clutch pressure.  Then I asked myself why
> I had spent all that extra money - did my release bearings habitually wear
> out before the clutch?  No!  Would I replace a clutch and reuse the old
> (even if it were a roller-bearing) release bearing?  No!!

Paul, thanks for the advice! I do re-use throw-out bearings when I
do a clutch on the Mini Cooper S, but you can replace the clutch
easily and the bearing even more easily on the Minis, since the
engine and transmission don't have to be separated in the transverse
application.

Getting the powertrain split on the Victor is a much more arduous
task, so I want something that will last at least four or five
years. Unless I hear enough input against the idea, guess I'll go
with the graphite version.

Question for the whole list: is there a particular brand,
competition grade or other throw-out bearing that's superior to the
others? Where can I obtain one? Money is not a problem.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm