FW: Winterizing my "new" MGB

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Winterizing my "new" MGB
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:19:53 -0800
Albert:

        You lovely person!

        There is NO WINTER IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!!

        It's wonderful that you have initiated a useful discussion, but
since you live only a couple of miles from me I can guarantee that you don't
even need antifreeze in your radiator!

        Out here in the coastal zone, your MGB will hardly know the
difference between June and January.  Just get out there and drive it.

        Back in Colorado my 70 MGB was my year round daily driver.  I've got
stories to tell regarding winter driving up in the Leadville area (10,000
ft).  Back then the only winterizing involved was bolting on the four snow
tires, and plugging in the block heater at night.  To get an idea of the
cold, one night I had to pour a pot of hot water over the Luminition
ignition amp on my Austin Marina to get the thing to work!

        Ok, enough ranting.  Albert, 20W50 is fine all year round here.  Mix
your antifreeze to recomendation for anti corrosion and wetting properties.
Your dashpot oil should be a bit thinner than what you put in the engine.

        And I'm sorry, but I can't contain myself.  When it rains, put the
top up, and roll up the windows or the interior will get wet.

Please forgive me.

Kelvin.

I'll hear hell for this at tomorrows club meeting.

> Hi,
> Could anyone please tell me what I should do in order to
> prepare for "trouble
> free" winter driving...I heard that I should change to a
> 10w-40w or 5w-30
> change all the filters, check the battery, clean the battery
> cables and
> connections to earth and to the engine, I've noticed that my
> radiator is
> filled with a mixture that's mostly antifreeze and its still
> very green,
> should I also figure on changing it too, or is it still good
> even if its over
> a year old? How about the carburetor? Anybody know of a
> website that has a
> possible "winterizing list" that I could access and download?
> I would like to
> get this "winterizing" project done and out of the way before
> next spring? Is
> there anything that I should do to the Hood (top) and interior or any
> thing else anyone can think of it would be most appreciated,
> TIA,
>                                              Albert Escalante
> ,1978 MGB
> -=Safety Fast=-