Re: Clutch Problems

To: kwaringa@dynsys.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Problems
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:42:37 EST
In a message dated 12/4/01 7:29:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kwaringa@dynsys.com writes:

> Does anyone have the secret for installing the metal retainers with out
> bending them in the calipers?  Those things are a royal pain to get in.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I made a small disk out of thin plywood that fits over the retainer.  The
piston and the retaining ring should be even, and pressed into the cylinder
at the same time.  Apply even pressure with a C-clamp and if you are lucky,
the ring will go right in.  Too much pressure and it will crumble.  Nudge the
ring around it's edges with a screwdriver to encourage it to go in.  Slow
going is best.

Once you have done it this way, it gets easier the next time.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"