Re: Engine Rebuild

To: turf42@home.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:39:47 EST
Hi Jim,
I'm going through that now with my early 5-main "GB" series engine.
How much work will you do yourself? I pulled the entire engine apart myself
hoping to just "freshen up" with rings and bearings.
This is a spare engine with OD tranny and my "buddies" convinced me to have
the engine magnafluxed and boiled ($65) rather than just re-assembling. I'm
glad I did because we discovered that the crankshaft was unuseable. I picked
up a .010" under for $175.
I brought all the parts to the machine shop. He worked up a list of approx
$1200 for everything including head work(less new guides and vavles if
needed).
This included a new ring gear, cam bearings, pistons, freeze plugs, main and
connecting rod bearings and a gasket kit. It also included boring the block
and regrinding the shaft (no longer necessary) and all necessary machining
and engine work.
Look for a machine shop that will let you find parts on your own without
penalizing you.
Set aside $1500 if you plan to do some of the work yourself.....more if you
don't.

Bob Stahlbush

66 MGB GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L