Re: Blown Head gasket

To: mgs@autox.team.net, "Rocky Frisco" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Subject: Re: Blown Head gasket
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:50:1 -0500
Me too.  I've never put hardened valve seats into any of my MG's and I've
never seen any valve recession.  My first '67B has 300K miles on it, 200K
put on by me since I bought it in '79 (multiple short blocks, same pre-smog
head).  I was also waiting for evidence before I cut into the head, but I
haven't seen any.  However, I have seen the mess that results when a
hardened valve seat comes loose.  Not pretty!

But then, there's the argument that older heads that were used when gas had
lead in it are already impregnated with lead and therefore don't wear.
That's possible too.  If I'm ever so far ahead on restorations that I get
around to putting a cross-flow head on a '67B (which will necessarily be
new and not lead-soaked) I plan to pull the thing off after a few thousand
miles and look for wear.  Or do they come with hardened seats?

Denise

Rocky said,

> I've had the head off three times for various reasons since then and
> have seen no evidence at all of seat recession or valve wear even
> though we haven't had leaded fuel here for decades.

--- Denise Thorpe
--- xyzabcde@earthlink.n

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list