Re: LH Overdrive help

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: LH Overdrive help
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:36:20 -0600
Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  So far all I have removed is the solenoid.  I think that
action of the solenoid at all means it's probably okay.  I will have to order
new
o-rings for the solenoid, and a new ball for it.  I have not taken enough parts
out to check the piston pump, but I will.  I plan on rebuilding the circuit
(including lockout switch) later this week, as all the wiring is frayed.

I took some pictures of the solenoid removed, and one looking up into the
overdrive where the solenoid was.  I do not see where any type of ball bearing
came out.  Is it supposed to fall out when I withdraw the solenoid (by removing
the four bolts on the serial plate)?

Pics are at:
http://www2.msstate.edu/~mts3/mgb/parts_removed.JPG
http://www2.msstate.edu/~mts3/mgb/inside_od.JPG
http://www2.msstate.edu/~mts3/mgb/inside_od2.JPG

Thanks,
Tyson

Bob Howard wrote:

> Tyson,
>   Take a look at the parts you have in the OD now and compare to the
> illustration  in the workshop manual.  The manual is printed so that for
> me, right handed, it's disorienting as I slide under the car, and I found
> that I had a lot of trouble visualising the manual and the parts and
> their relationship.
>   Seems to me that the solenoid pushed OUT when power was applied.
>   That shoves the ball bearing that acts like a valve.
>   Yes-you need that ball bearing.
>   Yes, rather than screw around trying to get old rubber parts to work,
> buy all new rubber bits. I "thought" my old bits were ok, and spent hours
> only to find out that they were not.
>   It's OK to test w/o the 3/4 switch (more accurately it's the 1/2
> switch) but be sure to reconnect it.  This bugger is hard to adjust, but
> once adjusted it stays in adjustment.
>   Check the piston pump. Here's where my disorientation came it strong.
> If it's installed 180 out, it almost looks ok, but it jams in the bore.
> There is a slight offset to the roller on the piston, and you have to get
> it per the illustration. In fact, before putting the sump back on and
> filling with oil, you might push it in place with your finger and have
> someone turn the engine by hand, in 4th gear, so you can feel the pump
> operate properly.
>   Ah, when you finally get all the oil out of your eyes, ears and nose,
> having a working OD makes it all worthwhile.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///