Re: Help Identifying Electrical Componets

To: "John Shidler" <allfacts@bellsouth.net>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: Help Identifying Electrical Componets
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:10:13 -0000
The alternator replaces the control box on the inner wing.  You should still
have a voltage regulator for the relevant gauges on the firewall inside the
cabin.

The panel lights are fed from the first position of the main lighting
switch, which lights the side and rear lights.  If these are OK the switch
is obviously OK.  From the switch it goes via a rheostat on the dash that
varies the dimness.  These frequently fail, and are expensive to replace for
the use they are.  If this is the problem you can bypass it, there is
usually a spare spade on one or both of the terminals of the rheostat, so
you can move one of the connectors from the other terminal to this spare
spade.  That should get them working but they won't be adjustable.

The horn is powered from the bottom fuse with the courtesy and boot/trunk
lights so this is the first thing to check.

Do the turn lights glow and not flash?  Or not come on at all?  Both sides
or just one?