Re: BMIHT accuracy?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BMIHT accuracy?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:11:12 -0800
I believe if you carefully read the section on body numbers in Clausager,
you will find that there were two "body numbers" used at the factory -- one
which appears on the body plate, and another which was recorded in the
factory records. So the discrepancy is typical. I had the same question when
I received my certificate.

Secondly, although you say the black seats appear to be original seats, the
question is, are they original to your car? Perhaps a PO didn't like the red
seats, which were worn out anyway, and swapped in some black seats from the
wrecking yard (which were factory seats, but from a different car). What
color is the rest of the trim on your car (doors, rear cowl area)? If
different, this color is more likely to be original, due to the relative
difficulty of changing it, and the lower frequency of it wearing out. Just
something to consider.

You can, of course, refinish the car to any color scheme, but I always
thought that black with red trim was particularly striking, and it is
relatively rare on MGBs (being a combination more in vogue in the 50s rather
than the 60s) .

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149