Re: Koni tube shocks - MGB

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Koni tube shocks - MGB
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:11:42 -0800
Word on the street is that Scott Hower said:
> Happy New Year to the MG list!
>
> Santa left a set of Konis under the tree this year and I just finished
> installing the front shocks.  The catalogs don't give a very good
> perspective on how these are installed, so I thought I'd post some
> photos in the event anyone is interested.

I'm interested!

> The install is straightforward.  The brackets in the kit are very well
> fabricated, although the hardware supplied was a bit suspect - no
> grade markings.  I've heard that the Spax kits tend to loosen up
> over time, so I tossed the bolts into my spares box and stopped
> in at the local Caterpillar dealer for some good quality hardware.
>
> For those that are curious, here is what is included in the kit:
>
>     http://home.att.net/~howersl/koni.jpg
>
> And here's the installed shock.  The front bracket fits underneath the
> stock damper assy (whose valve guts are removed).

Ah I see, I was confused as to why the original lever shock was still
there

> I decided to rebuild
> the calipers while I had them off.  Is it just me, or is that dust seal ring
> nearly impossible to get seated straight?

It's NOT just you.  PITA.

>     http://home.att.net/~howersl/front.jpg
>
> Hope to get the rear shocks installed in the next week.  I'll post more
> photos if anyone is interested.  Has anyone installed a set of Doug
> Jackson's composite leaf springs?  If so, can you comment?

No experience with the composite springs, but I'd love to see the rest
of the pics.

Skye

--
1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   www.mgbexperience.com   (_o____o_)

///