Re: gasoline coming out of overflow pipes on SU carbs

To: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: gasoline coming out of overflow pipes on SU carbs
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:20:30 -0600
It has an original replacement (but brand new) Lucas points style fuel
pump.  But no pressure regulator.

Thanks, Greg

Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
01/15/02 12:40 PM

        To:     <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
        cc:

No, it is not supposed to drip gas. But hold off on the Weber for a
moment...

Assuming the floats and valves are functioning (which I wouldn't be too
quick to do), then you have to look at the fuel pump, which apparently is
not shutting itself off. Does this car have the original style SU pump, or
an aftermarket pump? If so, does it have a pressure regulator?

on 1/15/02 10:11 AM, Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com at Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com wrote:

> I have a frustrating problem with a 68 MGB/GT that I am trying to
> resurrect from years of storage.    When I finally get it started (the
> engine itself is strong), aside from the fact that it runs EXTREMELY
> rough, gasoline drips and even pours out of the vent pipes of the SU HS4
> carbs.  I always shut it down at this point because of risk of fire (it
> makes me nervous to have a spreading pool of gasoline under a running
> car).   I have had the float bowls apart numerous times replacing the
> floats and the needle valves and cleaning the needle valves.  I
currently
> have brand new grose jet needle valves installed and new plastic floats.
> Yet it still overflows (it seems to mostly come from the front carb).  I
> cannot adjust the floats since they are plastic and they don't have the
> metal arm to bend like the old ones.   However, I can adjust the level
of
> the needle valve itself by shimming it with extra washers (which I have
> tried with no effect).
>
> Are these carbs supposed to drip gasoline out of these pipes under
normal
> circumstances?    Any suggestions before I give up and buy a Weber DGV?
> Please copy me directly on the reply since I am on digest.
>
> Thanks for your help.   -Greg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///