Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:21:00 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Barrie Robinson wrote:

> Oh you are so right!  That's the way I feel when I throw my empty beer can
> in the forest - I mean who's going to walk past there again?  Same with
> emptying the bilges of my Daddy's yacht in the ocean - I mean who's going
> to see those blobs of oil in that vast expanse of sea.

Maybe I'm a bit thin skinned about your glib response, but since I saw
your damn beer can during my walk in the forest two days
ago and sat in your damn oil globule that reached the beach I went to
last summer,  they
are seen, they are measureable and your off handed response
adds only useless noise to this discussion.

As I remember, your comments about MG's are really much
better than this.

Bill

> At 08:30 PM 1/16/02 -0500, Bill Saidel wrote:
> >Hi Jack,
> >
> >     I used to collect shells during SCUBA diving and worried a small
> >amount about the ethics of taking a live animal from the ocean to die so I
> >could harvest its artifact, a shell.
> >   So I asked a malacologist friend about it, a honcho prof from Harvard,
> >and she laughed at me. Take a 100. Take a 1000. It won't matter so long as
> >their environment is undisturbed. They make many, many babies and one
> >fool-hardy or 10 fool-hardy collectors won't interfere with the evolution
> >and ecology of that species.
> >
> >I took her message to heart.
> >
> >Anyway, when I removed the smog equipment from my 76B during my
> >replacement of the ZS with SU's, I didn't worry much at all. I drive a few
> >thousand
> >miles at the most. Trucks drive many times that and generate levels of
> >pollution (if that is your concern) that my B could only dream about.
> >I started thinking about how many antique cars drive in New Jersey and
> >what would the pollution generation be from all of them if they all
> >removed their emission's stuff.  Would it be measureable?  I seriously
> >doubt it. Are you adding a debt to the environment?  Unmeasureable.
> >Don't worry. B happy...or be a happy B'er and do as you need to keep
> >your vehicle in the shape you want it to be in.
> >
> >my 2 cents :)
> >
> >Bill Saidel
> >'76B
> >
> > > Time to make a decision. The new 1 3/4 carb intake manifold would need
> > > adapting to be able to fit the gulp valve. It would be easy to just remove
> > > all the emission control stuff.
> > >
> > > The car always passed the emission control test with the stuff in
> > place, but
> > > now that I have Illinois Antique plates I don't have to do the emission
> > > test. I could also use the canister space for the vacuum head of the
> > planned
> > > cruise control.
> > >
> > > To remove, or not to remove. What are your thoughts?
> > >

> >Bill Saidel
> >Rutgers University
> >
> >"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."
> >
> Regards