Re: Garage Heaters - slightly off topic

To: Phil <jello@ida.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage Heaters - slightly off topic
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:37:15 -0400
Phil,

   There was a thread on this subject earlier which involved a 6 kW
220V electric heater from Home Depot and/or Lowe's.  The people
who own them apparently like them.  This would, of course, mean
having or running a 220 V line into your garage.  This is generally a
good thing as you can also use the power source for a welder and
or a compressor.

   I personally (IMHO) do not like the radiant quartz heater as you need
to be standing or working almost directly in front of them to get the
full effect.  I still like the older style heaters with the fan that
blows air across a coil. I can set up the heater to blow nice warm air
right in the area that I am working.

   Part of the trick of any of these heaters is to preheat the
area as best you can.

   Additionally you can do other things like beefing up any
insulation.  This may be as simple as adding
foam insulation board to the back of a metal garage door. A metal
garage door can be a big source of cold.  You can
get the foam insulation in strips that you can cut with a knife to fit.

   Caulking and filling any obvious holes around windows and doors
will help a lot as will the 3M window sealing kits for old leaky windows.
Finally try separating the area where you really need the heat
concentrated.  You can do this by hanging plastic sheets from
the ceilings to the floor.  Use the 2 mil painters drop cloths available
from just about any hardware store. You will be amazed at how
well that can work for a short term  project.

   As with ANY heat source, please be very careful. Fires can easily be started
especially near a car with gasoline fumes.  If you should decide on a kerosene
or combustion type heater, please make sure that you vent it correctly.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) can kill quickly.

   Hope some of this helps.

Safety Fast!

  Gene Balinski