Re: pinion gear

To: "Monte Morris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: pinion gear
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:25:14 -0000
You should remove the rack complete (I disconnect the steering arms from the
swivel-axle assembly), but if you are changing the drivers side engine mount
you don't really need to remove the rack anyway.  With a thin open-ended
spanner turning over for each flat you can remove and replace it, but it is
a bit long-winded.

The rack takes 1/2 pint (.4 US pint, .2 litre) of EP SAE 90 oil, this is
usually injected into the big end of one of the gaiters, moving the steering
slowly from lock to lock as you do so.