Re: pinion gear

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pinion gear
From: steveb5815@juno.com
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 07:29:56 -0500
Monte,
Do NOT DISASSEMBLE THE RACK.  Remove it from the car if you need to
service it. If you're just chaging the motor mount then grind down a
cheap 1/2 inch wrench to fit between the steering shaft and whatever else
is in the way. Many on the list have taken this approach. I changed mine
when I had the whole front end out of the car so it was easy but I can
see where problems can arrise from lack of access.
The oil needs to be injected via the (top of the) boot joint. Hope this
helps.
Steve Bettencourt
http://www.bmcne.com
webmaster@bmcne.com

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:46:11 -0800 Monte Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>
writes:
> I'm trying to change a left front motor mount but can't figure out
> how to
> remove the pinion(rod?) from the gears on the rack. I have loosened
> the
> steering wheel and pulled it backwards towards the rear of the car.
> This
> pulled the pinion rod loose from the bottom of the U-joint. I
> removed the
> cover for the pinion gear housing and the lock nut, washer, and
> bearings.
> The rod will pull slightly upwards when I pull from the U-joint end,
> but
> the pinion will not come free from its housing. How do I get it
> free?
>
> Next question:
> There is a heavy weight oil in the pinion gear housing that, of
> course,
> drained out when the cover was removed. How do I go about replacing
> the oil
> with the rack remaining on the car? I can see no filler vent.
> Thanks,
> Monte 79B

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list