Re: Tonneau top question 74 B

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tonneau top question 74 B
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:13:21 -0800
on 2/6/02 5:40 PM, Harry Edelman at hre4@sgi.net wrote:

> I have a 74B and want to put on a tonneau top.
>
> I have all of the stud hardware necessary for behind the seats. I also have
> a single Stud fastener in the middle of my windshield on my dash. I do not
> have any other fasteners or studs in the front.

My B was set up with snap fasteners on the dash. Studs work just as well.
Mine had a snap in the middle of the dash top, and one near the right side.
I added one near the left side to give a better seal. I think the original
assumption was that the steering wheel pocket would secure that side.

> At the base of the
> windshield frame in front of the doors there is a chrome piece with a flat
> surface on it. It is held in place when the door is closed. It looks like it
> should also be held in place by a screw, but I may have to take the window
> frame apart to properly put this screw in.
>
> My question is this the other place a put fasteners for the top?

I don't know what it is exactly you're talking about, but I don't think so.

> To attach it properly do I have to remove the windshield?

You'd better hope not. Not worth it.

> Why is this piece of chrome flat, should it have a stud attached or is that
> added by the owner?

??? I wouldn't worry about this dingus, whatever it is. Where you need studs
or snaps are the following:

1. Dashtop, 2 or 3. Sometimes the front side snap is attached to the base of
the inner windshield post, but I wouldn't try that if it isn't there
already. It's pretty easy to put one in the dash top.

2. Back edge of cowl, also used for soft top -- already there.

3. The other placements vary a little, so use what is available. But here
are places that need securing:

- leading edge of door, outer skin, just below back corner of vent window
frame (this should be a snap -- a stud could be dangerous here). This keeps
wind from flapping the leading edge -- pretty obvious.

- top of rear fender, just behind rear edge of door opening --- needs to be
placed so it secures the corner of the tonneau just back of the side zipper.
So when the zipper is open and the tonneau is folded behind the seats, this
corner doesn't flap in the breeze.

You need to have the tonneau on hand before you start placing fasteners. And
it wouldn't hurt to get a good look at someone else's installation, although
no two are exactly alike.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149