Re: alternators 2

To: "Michael Jose" <mwjose@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: alternators 2
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:24:47 -0000
Again, how are you checking if it's charging?  When an alternator is
charging you should see about 14.5v on, say, the brown at the fusebox.  When
it isn't you will only see about 12v or less as the battery discharges.  Is
this what you have been seeing?

Is the warning light operating as it should?  If it is you should see the
alternator has failed some time before the car dies.

You really could do with finding out what is going wrong with the alts,
without that we are a bit in the dark.  It is just possible that you have a
bad connection in the alt plug which is going open-circuit after a few days
of use.  Then when it is unplugged and plugged back in again it 'tickles-up'
the connection so it works again for a few days.  If that were the case the
alt would test just fine on the bench.  The diodes rarely fail en-masse,
tending to fail one at a time which causes the warning light to glow
brighter as more electrical load is placed on the car.