Re: Weeping MGB caliper?

To: <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: Weeping MGB caliper?
From: "Scott Hower" <HowerSL@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:25:23 -0500
Barney,

Hmmm, I'll bet you're probably right...

I glassbeaded the caliper, and although I blew it out with compressed
air and cleaned it pretty thoroughly with brake cleaner, there's probably
some residue in the seal channel.  I'll *really* clean out the fluid seal
area
and see what happens.  I hadn't thought about fluid sneaking behind the
seal, but it sure sounds plausible, especially if there are some glassbeads
still stuck back there.

Thank you.

--Scott

>Probably a bit of debris in the groove that carries the square section
>o-ring seal inside of the caliper body.  The fluid is most likely leaking
>past the outside of that seal, not between the seal and the piston.  Pop
>the piston out again, remove the square section piston seal from the
>housing, clean the groove SPOTLESSLY clean, reassemble the caliper, bleed
>it again, and your leak should go away.
>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA with an attitude
>http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg