Re: buying car from across the border

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: buying car from across the border
From: "H. .W. McCullough" <hwmccullough@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:49:30 -0800 (PST)
--- Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com wrote:
> Any body out there know what's involved in buying a
> 25+ year old LBC in
> Canada and returning to the U.S. with it.

Greg,

Having lived in Canada for a couple of years, I think
one thing you might want to do is check out the
differences in emission standards.  If I remember
right, there may be some concerns there.  Also, check
with the US border guards before going across the
border to see what documentation you will need.
Finally, the "commercial" value of the car may be the
thing they are most concerned about.  Get a statement
from a car dealer as to what it is worth (probably
very little "commercially" which is what you want),
and be prepared to pay duty when returning.  Total
honesty will get you a long way when crossing borders.

If you have any other questions, please contact me
offline.  BTW, what is the year/color of the car?  I
used to own one while in Alberta.

H. W. "Sandy" McCullough

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list