On Monday I removed the head and manifolds from my 52TD to send them to
Lawrie Alexander for some of his magic. The head had been on the engine since I
put it together about eight years/7000 miles ago and I can't recall the last
time (if ever) that I checked the torque of the head nuts. I was curious to see
if any had loosened over time so I began a series of torque wrench tests
starting at 35 ft-lbs and working up in 5 ft-lb increments to see when a nut
might break loose. While testing at 60 ft-lbs I got a shocking surprise as stud
#4 broke off right at the nut. At that point I dug out my beam wrench and just
removed the nuts (most gave way at about 70 ft-lbs).
My concern, and the reason for this posting, is to ask if anyone has any
suggestions for steps that I might take prior to attempting to remove the studs
from the block. I'd hate to have one break off at the block level so as to have
to be drilled out. I'll definitely be replacing the studs with new ones, no
question about that. TIA.
/// email@example.com mailing list
/// or try http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool