Paint Stripping and Body Prep

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint Stripping and Body Prep
From: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:24:13 -0500
Hello list,

My son and I are getting ready to strip the paint and prep the body on
our '72 MGB-GT project car. After the prep work is done, we intend to let
a local professional do the spraying.

Our plans are to use Aircraft Stripper and we would be interested in
hearing any advice or cautionary statements on its use.

How is it best applied?
If we can do it outside, what is the lowest ambient temperature at which
it will work properly?
How long should it be allowed to stand?
How is the glop best removed?
What is the best solvent to remove residue?
I understand that it will destroy bondo. What grit sandpaper is
recommended for paint removal where filler has been used?
What should be applied to bare metal after stripping to prevent rust?
Does anyone have pointers for removing the wavey appearance of the steel
bonnet?

The body has practically no rust but the paint appears excessively thick.

Any and all help is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Bill Snyder
66 MGB
72 BGT

///