RE: Brake master cylinder rebuild or buy new?

To: "'Tim Economu'" <economu@whidbey.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake master cylinder rebuild or buy new?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:40:12 -0800
Tim:

        Figure from where this is coming from, and grade accordingly.

The 1968-74 MGB Brake Master Cylinder is still available new.  If I was
planning on keeping the car for 30 years, I would definitely choose a new
cylinder.

1.  It's available now, it may not be in the future.

2.  It's a safety related item, not a dress-up accessory.

3.  The unit is not easy to rebuild (in fact it is a pain to dismantle)

4.  The reservoir gets brittle with age, and the cylinder bore wears.

I would suggest hanging on to your original unit, not chucking it into the
dumpster as rebuildable cores may get to be hard to find in 30 years time.

Kelvin.

> Is current wisdom to repair or replace with new? I intend to
> drive the car
> for the next 30 years so I do not want  a short term fix. Of
> course there is
> a chance the cylinder has already been rebuilt. Is it
> possible to get a unit
> to seal after a couple of rehones? Do you think I should
> repair, or replace?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///