Brake master cylinder rebuild or buy new?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake master cylinder rebuild or buy new?
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:25:21 -0800
Hello wise friends.....
what do you think? My 1969 probably original brake master cyl has decided to
go "pedal to the medal" and lose braking power. The pedal will go to the
floor in about 5-6 seconds after a hard push. Fluid was changed recently,
was/is Castrol GMA. No fluid is being lost.

Is current wisdom to repair or replace with new? I intend to drive the car
for the next 30 years so I do not want  a short term fix. Of course there is
a chance the cylinder has already been rebuilt. Is it possible to get a unit
to seal after a couple of rehones? Do you think I should repair, or replace?

Is either one a very difficult job, and besides the obvious task of bleeding
which has been well covered, are there any gotchas?

Kind regards,

Tim Economu
1969 MGB/GT will slowly fading brakes!!

///