FW: parts car

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: parts car
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:38:01 -0800
Monte:

        The MGB weighs nothing in the scheme of things.  The trailer may be
the heavy bit.  The Chevy pickup won't have a problem pulling the rig, but
take great care stopping.  If you don't have trailer brakes hooked up the
light rear of the pickup can be jacknifed easily under hard braking.
Chucking some heavy bits in the back of the truck will reduce problems.
Think ahead when you are driving and you will be ok.

        The come along will work fine to pull the car onto the trailer.
Keep in mind that you will want to get it off the trailer sometime though.
My 65 race car shell was loaded onto a utility trailer with a forklift.  I
had a devil of a time jacking it up and installing front and rear
suspensions.  The last car I loaded that way ended up getting tied to a
dumpster, then I drove away.  Not the smartest thing to do as the car spun
and took out the rear corner post of the trailer.  It was 3AM and I was past
caring, I had to be at a race 100 miles away by 9 AM.  Younger and dumber.

        Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night remembering towing my
race car over Berthoud Pass in Colorado.  11 PM Sunday night after a weekend
of racing.  Datsun 620 pickup with drum brakes, loaded with a cab-over
camper.  Towing a converted utility trailer with the MGB perched on top, no
trailer brakes.  Coming down the mountain in second gear, hoping the
transmission doesn't pop out.  Very worried looks from dog and wife.

Kelvin.

> Just bought a parts car that's 5 hours away. Several friends have,
> double-axled (maybe 16') trailers.
> I have a 2 WD Chevy, 350 pickup; will this pull the trailer
> and MGB without
> any brake assisting modifications?
> The parts car's tires are "rotted" off. Can I use a
> come-along to winch it
> onto the trailer, or is ther another method.
> I just hate to drive 5 hours and not be able to load it or
> bring it home.
> Thanks,

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list