Re: Dual SUs on a '77 B

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Dual SUs on a '77 B
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:52:07 -0500 (EST)
I did this replacement 2 years ago, Ed.
 I have a '76B and when I obtained it, it was emission normal with a
ZS. I also did not have any experience and used trial and error.
  Basically, I set it up like a 74, with a dual-ported intake manifold, a
3->2 exhaust manifold, a 2->1 headpipe, leaving off the catalytic
converter, the ZS muffler system, the front and back mufflers and the
connecting pipes, were usable though I bought new brackets. The current
head is the same as it came with.

I picked up a used rebuilt pair of HIF's, and added the manual choke under
the
dash on the left side rather than at the upper right of the dash. The
total for the parts was under $330 and could have been less as I found
a slightly less expensive retail source for rebuilt HIF's after I had
purchased mine.  Still, I bought the carbs, the manifolds and the headpipe
from a lister for $300 and I don't think I went wrong.

In my case, I had lots of help tuning the carbs as I'd never done that
before. (Still need help) BUT in over a year, the SU's have been tweaked
only once.

The difference in running was well worth the trouble.
BTW, the rear air filter is a bit of a bear. I use flat K&H filters, but
I had
to reduce the thickness of the rear filter to make it fit. Since then I've
seen some odd shaped K&H filters, maybe another lister knows those
details, that are direct fits even with the break booster.

Bill

 On Mon,
4 Mar 2002, M. Edwin Vaughan wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> As if I don't have enoguh repairs to perform on my '77 B, I am interested
> in installing 2 SU carbs on my '77 B. I am curious if any folks on the
> list have done this? I currently have a Weber 32/36 DGV, which I want to
> change for various reasons. All the emissions stuff was removed by a PO
> (excluding carbon canister) and a header was installed. What I am I
> looking at here, in terms of the types of carbs I can use, type of intake
> manifold to use (I assume one of an older 2 carb car?), and type of choke
> I am going to have to have (water, manual). What about clearances between
> the air filters and the brake MC? Will my '77 head work, or will I need
> to replace that, too?
>
> TIA,
>
> Edwin
> '77 B
>
> PS. My state does not require emissions testing as of yet.
>
> "I'm tryin' to think but nuthin' happens."
> -- Curly Howard (the stooge)
>
> Check out The MG Filling Station at:
> http://members.fortunecity.com/mowogmg

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list