Spin-on leaks

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spin-on leaks
From: "Parker, Richard" <RPARKER@csuchico.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:50:49 -0800
Hi, folks--
I have a newly rebuilt 1622 engine in the MGA, and everything is working
like a charm except:  I installed an aftermarket spin-on oil filter adapter
so the filters would be less of a pain in the whatsit to change.  But I
discovered I was leaking oil like a sieve at one of the connections--either
between the adapter and the block or the adapter and the filter.  So
everything came off and I turned the square=cross-section O-ring around and
smothered it in aircraft gasket goop and stuck it in there, bolted up the
adapter, and spun on a new filter.  And damned if it isn't still
leaking--nothing like was before, but still getting a dribble.  Any
suggestions, or do I just adopt the "not dripping, just marking its
territory" motto?  I was hoping that, at least for a short little while, I
might have an LBC motor that actually HOLDS ITS OIL!  But it looks like I'd
be better off chasing the holy grail.
--Richard

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list